Advertisement

Converting .wmv files to .mov

topic posted Mon, February 4, 2008 - 10:13 AM by  Bobby Love
Share/Save/Bookmark
I have some Windoze Media movies I'd like to put on my ipod. They play on my iMac in Quicktime/Flip4mac, and since I have Quicktime pro, I can and have saved them as .mov or .mp4 files.

But When I try to copy them to the ipod, I get a message that says "this type of file is not supported". the iPod is a 5th gen and does play video.
Any ideas what's going on here?

I'm thinking maybe Flip4mac has a Pay version that does a better job?
posted by:
Bobby Love
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Re: Converting .wmv files to .mov

Mon, February 4, 2008 - 10:20 AM
    I didn't know one could do this. Does it work with iPhone as well, or only video-enabled iPods? I don't see in iTunes any way to bring in videos except for movies, TV shows, and podcasts downloaded through iTunes itself.

Mon, February 4, 2008 - 12:27 PM
      Apple uses the terms videos and movies interchangeably.

When you DL or make a short file with moving pictures in it, it's often a .mov file, plays nice with Quicktime. Doesn't matter if it was originally shot on film, video, or animation.

I'm sure that iPhones can play 'em too. Drag the .mov file into iTunes movie folder, then to your iPhone.

Mon, February 4, 2008 - 2:17 PM
        "Apple uses the terms videos and movies interchangeably."

I just figured that out right before you posted, and was able to import a QuickTime .mov file into iTunes. It played great through iTunes. However:

"I'm sure that iPhones can play 'em too. Drag the .mov file into iTunes movie folder, then to your iPhone."

I tried to sync it to my iPhone, and it said that it was unable to copy the file to the iPhone becasue the iPhone was incapable of playing the file.

I have no idea.

Mon, February 4, 2008 - 12:30 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the iPod will play only m4v files. I haven't gotten anything else to work. However, iTunes has a menu drop-down that converts anything QT playable into m4v content. Trick is, yeah, you need to pay for flip4mac to get a conversion without their cutesy stamp across the file. You can also process files into pod-playable format with iSquint, but I haven't known it to be significantly better than itunes.

Mon, February 4, 2008 - 2:58 PM
      Yeah, found it. go to the Movies section of iTunes (not the iPod area, but the main movies) and click on the movie you want to upload. Then from the "Advanced" menu select "Convert selection for iPod/iPhone". Done.

Mon, February 4, 2008 - 3:20 PM
        Bingo! Thanks so much. :)
        • Unsu...

Re: Converting .wmv files to .mov

Tue, February 26, 2008 - 6:01 PM
          FWIW: I Just downloaded FlipMac so I could see if I could open WMV files I'd downloaded. Sure enough! And then (this was my reason for wanting to) I was able to combine several WMV clips back into one longer movie and save it as a new file that place with QuickTime Pro.

Thu, February 28, 2008 - 8:51 PM
            I just bought Flip4Mac Pro so that I can convert WMV files for the purpose of putting them on my iPhone. But I can't figure out how to do this. The manual says, "When you upgrade to Flip4Mac WMV Player Pro (or any WMV Studio version) you can import Windows Media
            files into supported QuickTime editing applications, and convert Windows Media files into other media formats." But it only gives instructions on how to import WMV files into iMovie, not how to "convert Windows Media files into other media formats." Can anyone give me instructions on how to do a straight WMV-to-QuickTime file conversion?

Thu, February 28, 2008 - 9:28 PM
              i think you could try importing the wmv into the application imovie (i think comes with i-life) and then export the file as a .mov .....but just be sure to delete the imovie file after you're done unless you have a lot of harddrive space....

Thu, February 28, 2008 - 9:41 PM
                Dammit, it won't let me do that. I choose File | Import Movies, and all three of the file names are grayed out (I have three video files in the folder: .wmv, .mpeg, and .mov).

Thu, February 28, 2008 - 9:43 PM
                  try just dragging the files from the finder window onto the imovie document
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Thu, February 28, 2008 - 9:45 PM
                    have you checked the permissions for those files by highlighting them inside finder then clicking file / get info / ----to make sure you have permission to read and write the files

Thu, February 28, 2008 - 9:47 PM
                    It won't let me do that, either. And I have read and write permissions on all three files.

Thu, February 28, 2008 - 9:51 PM
                      I just found that I can open the file in QuickTime Player, and there's a File menu option called "Save As," with the word PRO next to it, but it's grayed out, as are all of the other PRO menu items. I doublechecked and it took my purchased serial number just fine, but all of the PRO items are still disabled. Any thoughts on this one?

Thu, February 28, 2008 - 9:54 PM
                        Wait, nevermind, it's probably QuickTime Pro that the "PRO" is referring to, not Flip4Mac Pro. Sorry.

But that still doesn't help me understand how to use Flip4Mac Pro to convert .wmv files to QuickTime files.

Thu, February 28, 2008 - 9:55 PM
                        Hmmm, you do need quicktime pro forr a lot of the features. Did you restart after installing the software?

Thu, February 28, 2008 - 9:59 PM
                          No, I'll try, but I don't know how that will help, since I don't have QuickTime Pro. Flip4Mac Pro is supposed to be able to "convert Windows Media files into other media formats," but it doesn't explain how to do this. Did I just pay $29 for nothing?

Tue, March 4, 2008 - 8:01 AM
                            in Quicktime, choose File > Export

There are 15 different choices for "Movie to [some other format]", plus Options, and "Advanced"

Tue, March 4, 2008 - 10:38 AM
                              Dude, READ... she doesn't have Quick Time Pro.... she CAN'T export in Quick Time....

Tue, March 4, 2008 - 11:54 AM
                                *laughing*

It's okay, it's all pretty confusing to me, too. :)

I contacted Flip4Mac support. Here's the discussion so far:

FLIP4MAC SUPPORT:
                                "Sorry that Flip4Mac has turned out to be so difficult for you! There is an known issue with wmv files being imported iinto iMovie 08. You might want to check out www.macrumors.com/2007/08/1...ion-pains/ where you'll see that iMovie 08 is not entirely supported by the Mac community. This site has a link for a free iMovie 06 installer for those unhappy with the new release. We will have an update that fixes this sometime next month.

QuickTime Pro or Final Cut are the other two Apple applications that work with Flip4Mac. While QuickTime Pro will allow you to convert QuickTime movies to other QuickTime formats, it will NOT import WMV movies unless the Flip4Mac plug in is installed.

If you need to convert these movies, I'd really recommend that you download the free iMovie 06 installer and use that until the free Flip4Mac update is available. If that doesn't seem like a reasonable alternative, please let me and know and I will arrange to have your money refunded."

ME:

"Greetings. Thank you for returning my letter so quickly. I have a question:

> QuickTime Pro or Final Cut are the other two Apple applications that work with Flip4Mac. While QuickTime Pro will allow you to convert QuickTime movies to other QuickTime formats, it will NOT import WMV movies unless the Flip4Mac plug in is installed.

Will QuickTime Pro import WMV movies with the free version of the Flip4Mac plug-in, or just Flip4Mac Pro?"

FLIP4MAC SUPPORT:

"Here's how it works. With the free Flip4Mac WMV Player plugin, you will be able to PLAY WMV movies using QuickTime Player on your Mac. But, IF you want to import WMV movies into QuickTime and convert them to a QuickTime format, you will need the PRO version of QuickTime to use Flip4Mac WMV Player Pro, which sells for $29. While in trial mode, you can see how the WMV Player Pro upgrades works if you have QuickTime Pro. Hope that helps!"

ME:

"But will QuickTime Pro allow me to do this with the *free* Flip4Mac WMV Player plugin, or do I absolutely need to buy both QuickTime Pro *and* Flip4Mac Pro in order to do this?"

We'll see what happens. My guess is that I *only* need QuickTime Pro and not the pro versions of both, but she's trying not to say that explicitly. I'll keep y'all posted. And thanks again for everyone's help. :)

Thu, February 28, 2008 - 10:06 PM
              Hmmm,. From the Flip4mac site:
              "Editing movies from your digital camera is easy with Flip4Mac WMV Player Pro. Simply record movies using your digital camera’s Movie Mode and use Flip4Mac WMV Player Pro to make them available for editing in applications like iMovie. There’s no easier way to make and edit movies or to move media files into your iPod. Simply import Windows Media video and audio files into your iPod with Flip4Mac WMV Player Pro.

Flip4Mac WMV Player Pro allows you to import Windows Media video and audio for editing or conversion to other QuickTime formats*. You can import directly into applications like Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express HD, QuickTime Pro and iMovie. You can also convert files from Windows Media to other QuickTime formats using applications like QuickTime Pro, Cleaner 6 and Sorenson Media Squeeze 4.1."

Looks like iMovie should be working now. Plus this app, WMV Player Pro, should be able to open and convert files for you.

Fri, February 29, 2008 - 9:06 AM
                Alas, iMovie won't let me import even .mov files into it. I am currently unable to import *anything* into iMovie.

At this time, I think I may have completely wasted $29. I really, really hope not, but if I need QuickTime Pro to convert .wmv files even if I already have Flip4Mac Pro, then what use is Flip4Mac Pro?

I feel like a chump.

Thanks for trying, guys. If anyone has any other ideas on how I can use my newly-purchased Flip4Mac Pro to convert .wmv files to .mov files without having to buy anything else, please let me know.

Fri, February 29, 2008 - 11:05 AM
                  Seriously, Enrika, look for the file called "WMV Player Pro" and see if it will run and open your wmv movies. That sounds like your convertor ....

Fri, February 29, 2008 - 12:24 PM
                    When I doubleclick on the WMV Player icon, it opens QuickTime Player. The QuickTime player will play the files, but (presumably) since I don't have QuickTime Pro, I can't save the files as .mov. (I don't have an icon that says WMV Player Pro.)
  • This post was deleted by Jory

Fri, January 11, 2013 - 12:40 AM

You can do that easily. Just download "FLV CRUNCH" software from online portal and just click on the format you want to convert, select the file you want to convert, customize the destination folder as desktop and just click on start button and you will see that it gets converted in no time. It offers a wide format conversion tools and also you can rip the videos with that tool.

Recent topics in "Mac OS X"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Domain Registrattion Recommendations? digital gypsy 12 September 6, 2014
Why Is This So? Azeeza 1 September 6, 2014
QuickTime Player recording Dick 4 August 1, 2014
Hide/Cloak IP Address Moshi Moshi 5 July 21, 2014